Lecture Notes on some important Name Reactions

Wurtz Fitting Reaction
                     Wurtz Fitting reaction is a method to prepare alkyl derivative of arene by means of general Wurtz reaction.

C6H5I + 2Na + I-CH3 C6H5CH3 + 2Na

It is just a modification of Wurtz reaction – a method of synthesizing alkanes using alkyl 
halide and sodium in ether medium.

e.g. of i) Wurtz Reaction:   
CH3I + 2Na + I-CH3 C2H6 + 2NaI 
Ether medium
 
 ii) Fitting Reaction: C6H5I + 2NaI + I-C6H5 C6H5C6H5+ 2NaI

Wurtz Fitting reaction is the combination of these two above reactions – Wurtz reaction 
and Fitting reaction. Yield is very poor (10 - 5%) due to the formation of many side 
products.


Mechanism: Most widely accepted mechanism involves formation of organometallic 
compound as below: 

C6H5I + 2Na C6H5
-Na+
+ NaI
C6H5
-Na+
+ R-I C6H5R + NaI


Application and Extension:
i) Widely used for polynuclear hydrocarbon

ii) In the synthesis of anthracene:


iii) In the synthesis of Phenanthrene


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LNMU ने जारी किया पार्ट 1 & 2 के प्रैक्टिकल DATE और पार्ट 2 का एग्जाम DATE |

अब LNMU के सभी स्टूडेंट को एग्जाम देना होगा कुछ इस तरह किए प्रेस प्रकाशित |

LNMU की पहली मेधा सूची हुई जारी,अब छात्र ले सकेंगे एडमिशन |

Naphthalene, Structure and Reactivity & Other Names Of Naphthalen

Ministry of Home Affairs gave permission to conduct final examinations to universities / health institute

Citral of Isolation, Structure and synthesis

Classification of Terpens

Mangnese Atomic Symbol, Number, Position In Perodic Tabale & Occurence